In this technologically advanced era where we are using tech gadgets with powerful processing abilities, the demand for battery life to meet these needs is quite hectic. Therefore the need for extra juice to power up these devices are in great demand. Power banks supplement the batteries of our smartphones, thereby elongating their use.
This is such a brilliant concept; however, these lifesaving devices can become detrimental to our health and surroundings if appropriate usage and handling are not properly employed. Below I will touch on some essential measures to ensure the safety of the environment, ourselves as well as others.
Purchase from trusted brands
Why will this be a significant choice? Well, let me explain. There are a lot of brands on the market when it comes to power banks but choosing a well-known brand guarantees safety and originality. Choosing a reputable brand is important because;
- They have a broad user base who can give proof of the reliability and durability of the product
- The parts and materials used to manufacture their version of power banks are mostly at par with industry standards.
- There are inbuilt safety mechanisms to protect the user and others in the environment such as over-charge protection, short-circuit protection, over-temperature or over-heat protection, over-current protection or over-voltage protection.
Do not expose to extreme temperatures
Extreme heat or cold are great enemies to the lifespan of the lithium-ion batteries found in a power bank. Please keep it away from places such as window sills and vehicle dashboards which are very prone to extreme temperatures, which in turn will destroy your cherished power reservoir. In some cases excessive heat exposure can cause explosions and fires, kindly keep an eye on the temperature of your device.
Handle with care
Most power banks come designed in a rugged and robust form; however, care must be taken in handling these devices. Dropping it on hard surfaces is one sure way of reducing its lifespan because internal circuitry works within the device alongside other components can be sorely damaged without proper care.
Do not attempt to self-repair
These devices are put together by experts who use sophisticated engineering, therefore trying to correct faults within the device as an amateur could be very detrimental as you could risk exposing yourself to hazards.
Charge periodically during storage
If you plan to store the power bank, it should be halfway charged and periodically charged as well. This practice is to ensure that the power bank gives off its optimum performance when you finally decide to use it. If you choose not to use your power bank for a while, you should charge at reasonable intervals to keep its charge.
I would always say that smart gadgets can serve us well if we diligently follow owners’ manuals or instructions. However, a lackadaisical approach to handling these powerhouses that helps us can be injurious or even life-threatening
- GIGI ADESSO-the Nigerian Canadian inspiring Africa through storytelling and writing - January 5, 2023
- Develop Financial Literacy Skills-President IoT Network Hub Africa - November 3, 2022
- The Internet of Things (IoT’s) Role in Climate Action in Ghana - November 1, 2022